Monday, March 19, 2012

IEP -- Three Little Words NOT to Fear!

Well, I don't know about you, but I sure start to worry and fret and put on my anxious face when this time of year rolls around :)


And I really shouldn't! Keep in mind 85% of what you worry about doesn't ever occur. Rationally I realize this, but emotionally, I know that other 15% is going to kick me to the curb!

One of the best things I can do to "climb off the ledge" is to make a request to see the proposed IEP prior to our meeting with the resource team. Yep, you can do that!

How much better will you feel going into the IEP meeting when you have had a chance to read the new proposed updates AND have some time to absorb it ... which takes that scary 15% of the unknown out of the worry equation.

You will be able to gather your thoughts and get your questions organized and be ready to start a dialogue with the other members of your child's team. Your child's team should be able to provide the new IEP to you...and the IEP meeting can always be rescheduled so your team has time to prepare the IEP and forward it to you.

To quote George Carlin, "I don't have a fear of heights. I have a fear of falling from heights." Now before I climb down off this ledge, I am going to take a minute and enjoy the view :)

No comments:

Post a Comment