Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Eye Contact

"Look at me!" "Where are my eyes?" "Look me in the eyes!"
How many times have we uttered those words? Now THAT'S something I wish I had a quarter for every time I said! :)
Now in defense of our kiddos, sometimes it is just too much sensory overload to look at someone's eyes, too complicated and it is too uncomfortable. AND we don't mean constantly STARE at someone in their eyes...yikes, that's unsettling!
A terrific book called Socially Curious and Curiously Social by Michelle Garcia Winner and Pamela Crooke explain it like this, "our eyes help us see what other people are looking at and this helps us figure out what other people may be thinking."
"The Four Steps of Communication include:
Step 1: Think about what other people think
Step 2: Establish physical presence
Step 3: Think about others with your eyes
Step 4: Use language to relate to others:
Think of it as being a detective and trying to figure out what other people are looking at and then make a good guess about their thoughts.
Wonder if this works with husbands? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment