Monday, January 28, 2013



As you may know, I am the mom of two teenage daughters, 17 & 15.  Notice how tired I am as I write that sentence :)

I am always looking for ways to start conversations on important topics and share with our girls our perspective on situations in their lives, and this is a pretty good place to start.

The six most important decisions are: (quoted from page 4 of the book)

1. School.  What are you going to do about your education?
2. Friends.  What type of friends will you choose and what kind of friend will you be?
3. Parents.  Are you going to get along with your parents?
4. Dating and Sex.  Who will you date and what will you do about sex?
5. Addictions.  What will you do about smoking, drinking, drugs, and other addictive stuff?
6. Self-Worth.  Will you choose to like yourself?

The pages are filled with cartoons, quizzes, and stories.  It is an interesting and inviting read and yes, does go into detail about sex and STD's....but in a very matter of fact way.  My 15 year old shared she may be interested in dating (and no I didn't see THAT coming!) a conversation that was prompted by a quiz she took in the book.  Luckily, the mom response to that little tidbit was "I don't think so!" :) ha!  As stated on one of the pages in the Parent chapter..."parents don't always have to have a reason".

Anyway, it runs about $12 or so at Amazon and you might be able to get it from your local library.  Let me know what you think and if you have found any other books you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment